Car maintenance is an ongoing process throughout the year, and best when performed regularly. An emergency breakdown is inconvenient no matter what time of year, but can be especially problematic in the middle of a notorious Atlanta ice storm. Fall is the perfect time of year to prepare your car for the cold weather ahead. Start your preparations with these Fall car care tips!
5 Fall Car Care Tips
Atlanta may not have snowstorms like the Northeast, but ice storms can be just as dangerous. Checking that your car is winter-ready on an annual basis will help make sure that you are not left out in the cold with a preventable situation!
- Fluids – Windshield washer fluid needs to be replaced with cold-weather friendly fluids. You can also add antifreeze to the reservoir. While your hood is up, check your coolant and add antifreeze if necessary. If accessible, check your brake fluid as well.
It’s important to add antifreeze, or make sure that your fluids are freeze-friendly. Liquid expands when frozen, and a cracked reservoir can lead to a bigger problem later.
- Battery – Batteries are essential to all cars, but it’s easy to forget about them until they stop working! Check your batteries every fall to make sure that they aren’t corroding, and that the cable connections are securely in place. Since batteries don’t have power indicators, it’s usually best to replace them every 3 years regardless of performance.
- Tires and Brakes – Tires with good tread are critical for dealing with snow or slush on the streets. While no amount of tread on a tire can help with ice, it’s much safer to go into the season with solid traction under your wheels. Brakes with plenty of padding left will help you stop faster in slick conditions, and keep you, your family, and other drivers on the road safer.
Don’t forget to check your spare tire if your vehicle has one! Make sure that it’s properly inflated and that all the equipment is in place. For cars where the spare tire is stored under the vehicle, check that the suspension cable mechanism is in good working order. If the cable is not working, you’ll need to have it repaired.
- Windshield Wipers, Defrosters, and Heaters – Windshield wipers should be changed every year, and scheduling that change for the fall ensures that you get the most use out of them on an annual basis. Slush and ice can take a heavy toll on any wiper blades, so it’s best to go into the season with a fresh pair.
Defrosters and heaters are essential for any winter driving. Heaters keep you comfortable, while defrosters maintain maximum visibility.
- Visit T3 Atlanta! Our skilled and experienced mechanics can help you get your Toyota, Lexus, Infiniti, or Nissan winter-ready by replacing or topping off fluids, replacing lights, and performing both routine and emergency care on your vehicle.
Don’t be left out in the cold this Fall or Winter! You’ll help prevent a major headache later by making sure that your vehicle is winter-ready now. Call us at one of our two convenient Atlanta-area locations – Smyrna (404-794-7700) and Decatur (404-633-7722). We’ll be more than happy to answer any questions that you may have, or schedule an appointment!